Travelling With Pets/Animals

What papers will my pet need to travel?


Under the EU pet movement system, all pet dogs, cats and ferrets moving between EU Member States must meet the same animal health rules. All pets travelling from the Republic of Ireland to the UK or Continental Europe must be micro chipped and accompanied by a pet passport.


Please note it is your responsibility to provide all necessary documents and make all arrangements including where necessary quarantine, to satisfy all legal requirements.

For more information, visit the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) at or by calling 0870 241 1710.


You can find more information about the changes made to pet travel implemented on 29th December 2014 by clicking the following link - EU Pet Travel Scheme.