Can I take my pet to Europe?
For travel between Britain and Ireland:
Yes, you can take your pet on all vessels to Europe without them being subject to quarantine laws on re-entry to the Ireland/UK. Your pet can travel in the car or in the on board kennels (where available) and you can visit during the crossing, subject to weather conditions and staff discretion.. Please note, we cannot allow pets on the passenger deck except for guide dogs. There is a maximum of 5 pets per person travelling.
For travel between Ireland and France on our Rosslare – Cherbourg route:
Yes, you can take your pet on our Rosslare – Cherbourg route free-of-charge. Pets are permitted to travel in their owner’s vehicle or in onboard kennels subject to availability. You must advise that you intend to bring a pet at the time of booking and in advance of travel. Pets (excluding guide dogs) will not be allowed in the passenger areas of the ship. Access to the car deck during the crossing is not permitted unless accompanied by a member of staff and is at staff discretion. Unaccompanied pets will not be permitted to travel. There is a maximum of 5 pets per person travelling. Please be advised that you will need to ensure that your pet passport is up to date and that the Irish Department of Agriculture insist on the following treatments before travel. From 1 January 2012, all pets entering Ireland from another EU Member State (eg. France) must be:
1. Identified by micro-chip (However a clearly readable tattoo applied before 3 July 2011 is also acceptable.)
2. Vaccinated against rabies, at least 21 days before entry into Ireland
3. In the case of dogs, treated against the tapeworm echinococcus multilocularis within a period not more than 120 hours and no less than 24 hours before the time of scheduled arrival in Ireland. (i.e. between 5 days and 1 day prior to entry.)
Veterinary certification of the above is to be contained in the EU Pet Passport or the Third Country Health Certificate (as currently).
More information available at - http://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-france/pet-travel
Please note: Certain breeds of dogs are more sensitive to heat/poor air circulation in vehicles. We would advise owners to take extra precautions and to use the kennel facilities where available onboard our ships.
Stena Horizon kennel sizes:
- 75cm width x 86cm high x 102cm deep
- 86cm width x 75cm high x 102cm deep
- For more information on kennels, please click here.